For over 104 years Second Baptist Church has been an integral part of the African American community of Aiken and the surrounding areas. It has stood as a beacon, ministering to the spiritual, educational, social, recreational, and developmental needs of the broader Aiken community. Second Baptist Church was founded in 1904 and began its humble journey in a small, two-room house, which was located in the 1100 block of Florence Street NW. The active membership at the time was approximately 22 persons. Over the years the Church has been a pillar of stability, growth, and commitment. Its has sustained its commitment to the mission of uplifting and improving the lives of the residents of the Aiken community. The present building, which is located on Hampton Avenue, was designed and constructed in 1920 by the pastor, architect, and builder Reverend Jesse M. Miles.
Second Baptist has always been an active participant in the life and growth of Aiken. The first Head Start program in Aiken was organized and held at the Church. Second Baptist youths were the first African-Americans to take part in the citywide athletic church league.
Reverend Douglas A. Slaughter is only the eleventh pastor to serve the church in its more than 100-year history. Since the beginning of his leadership in September of 1993, Second Baptist Church has been able to continue in many ways to accelerate its broader mission of initiating service and programs aimed at the defined needs of the total Aiken community. During this period Second Baptist Church has accomplished the following:
- Increased in membership to over 500 members
- Secured funding from South Carolina Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services in 1999 to sponsor the after-school
- Homework center at Nicholson Village
- Purchased a 29-acre tract of land
- Acquired several rental properties
- Acquired several parcels of land for the anticipated construction of affordable housing
- Assessed the viability of operating/providing senior citizen services
- Opened a preparatory school
- Purchased a church building which is fully rented to another church group
- Operated with an annual budget in excess of $500,000